Thursday 21 November 2013

Youtube Mini mix Vol. 2: Current London House Vs Oldskool Garage



This is my slightly late in the year mix of tracks that were released around summertime, with a chart bothering cut from Rudimental, one of Dusky's better productions, and a track that should be in anyone's top 5 list of Tuff Jam tunes. Most of the stuff I play is Old Skool Garage so it's nice to get some new 'London' house tunes on vinyl that can supplement my largely retro collection. Someone on the Dissensus Forum has referred to this kind of stuff as house & bass though I'm not sure if anyone else has accepted this as a sub-genre title.

Like a lot of people I bought the Rudimental 12" for it's brilliant Skream remix of 'Hell Can Freeze' (one of the year's best tunes in my book). The A-side was an irritating commercial tune in the vein of Pendulum so I had Rudimental wrongly pegged as a crap D&B act. But when I got round to listening to that side of the record I came across the first tune of this mix- it's nice summertime sing-along music. Track 2 is one of Karl & Matt's classic dub mixes, if you haven't heard this by now you'll be in for a treat. The last tune is by Dusky, who I don't know a lot about. This is on the Naked Naked label who put out the excellent 'Somewhere' by Breach & Midland late last year. I don't know if Capital T has any recognisable elements from Garage or any other London based scene but it's got a nice smooth, maybe American vibe to it.


1. Rudimental ft Sinead Harnett- Baby (Asylum records 2013)
2. Tuff Jam- Key Dub (i! records 1997)
3. Dusky- Truth Capital T (Naked Naked 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment